Artist Call Out: Birds of Paradise (Rural)
Deadline: 15 December 2017
Deadline: 15 December 2017 at 17:00
Birds of Paradise (BOP) Artists (Rural) is part of Connecting Creative Communities, a project which will investigate the relationship between promoter, artist and community.
Over a two year period the project will explore new ways for
artists, promoters and communities to work together to make tours
which resonate with and are relevant to Highland communities.
CCC is being run by The Touring Network who have partnered with BOP and two other companies. BOP are looking for a theatre maker or performance artist who identifies as disabled to work with us on this rural project. The artist will explore relevance and impact, and then connect with communities to explore places and stories sharing prototypes of their work as they make it.
We are working with The Touring Network to look at how we can make theatre that appeals to rural communities in Scotland. The successful artist with work within a remote community in Scotland, researching the needs of that group of people and developing a piece of theatre that will best respond to those needs and desires. BOP will support the artist in a number of ways. As a second stage it is then intended that the finished work will tour rural communities around the country - the specifics of this will depend on the nature of the work that is developed as this will determine likely costs/resource implications/etc.
What is expected from the artist (with support from BOP)?
- Attend the initial project residential at Cove Park (11-14th January 2018)
- Attend workshops in promoter communities (led by Lisa Baxter) dates tbc (Feb - March 2018)
- Co-create a new piece of work in the selected community/ies
- Work with the animateur in a collaborative manner
- Present 2 prototype sharing opportunities with communities (May 2018 and July/August 2018)
- Present a work in progress at the showcasing (Sept 2018 Gathering)
- Be open to sharing and collaborating with the public
- Present their experiences at a symposium which will be held at the Gathering (2019) venue tbc
- Input into the evaluation process
- Agree that the evaluation will be open and available to the sector and the wider public
- Perform a tour of the new work (May - September 2019) to a minimum of 4 venues in the Highlands and Islands region
For further information, please visit the Birds of Paradise website.
Location: All Scotland
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (Callum Madge), or call 0141 552 1725.