Omar trained at the BBC Actors Centre under the Talent Boost programme and achieved a 2:1 Honours Degree in Drama from the University of Sunderland.
In 2013, Omar began developing a one-man play entitled "An Evening at 7-8-6 The Coconut Curry" and has performed it as a work-in-progress at The Black History Month, and The Scottish Curry Awards. He received support from the Playwrights' Studio to develop his work as a playwright.
Omar's Theatre credits include: Experimenting With Woyzeck (Citizens Theatre), Shots From Across Town (Citizens Theatre), Greeks Geeks & Party Myths (Citizens Theatre), The Chicago Project (Citizens Theatre), Doctors & The Devils (Citizens Theatre), Reflections On The River (Citizens Theatre), Detainee A (Ankur Productions) and Love's Time's Beggar (Ankur Productions).
His TV credits include: the BAFTA award-winning sketch show Limmy's Show (BBC), Don't Drop The Baton (BBC), Scotland in A Day (Channel 4), Annoying Things Adults Say (CBBC) and an Aldi advert (MTPProductions).
Omar plays Sanjay in the Writers Guild award-winning comedy Fags Mags and Bags (BBC Radio 4)
He has won numerous awards for his work including:
- Arts & Entertainment award (Young Scottish Muslims, 2008)
- New Horizons award (Scottish Black Minority Ethnic Achievement Awards, 2011)
- Impact In Arts award (CEMVO Impact Awards, 2016)
- Omar was listed as one the "Top 50 Young Scottish Film and TV Stars" (The Sunday Herald, 2012)
- Omar was hailed as one the "Funny Five Scots" alongside comedians Kevin Bridges and Susan Calman (The Scots Magazine, 2014)