Dr Gavin Wallace Fellowship 2018
Applications are now closed
Applications are now invited from professional mid-career or established writers based in Scotland for the 2018 Dr Gavin Wallace Fellowship on the theme, Epic.
This Fellowship is open to playwrights, fiction writers, poets, librettists or lyricists to research, write and develop work for the stage that meets their creative ambition to work on a larger scale.
Hosted by Playwrights' Studio, Scotland, in partnership with the Royal Lyceum Theatre, we will give a professional writer the opportunity to develop an original play, adaptation or new, scripted dramatic work for the stage, that is grand in scale.
- Span many years in a complex, ambitious narrative
- Challenge its art form
- Involve the creation of heroic, tragic or legendary figures
- Depict a particular period of history, reinterpreted for contemporary audiences
- Imagine the future
It will, however, be up to the writer to define or explore what 'epic' means to them.
The writer will receive:
- £20,000 bursary
- Tailored development support towards their specific, individual needs, negotiated with the writer, up to a total value of £5000. This will be negotiated with the writer.
- Project management support from Playwrights' Studio, Scotland
- Access to Playwrights' Studio's core programme of workshops and networking opportunities
What is Epic?
Epic addresses the demand for development opportunities to create work for larger stages from writers in different art forms. It aims to diversify the kinds of writers creating work of this scale.
What is The Dr Gavin Wallace Fellowship?
The Dr Gavin Wallace Fellowship was established to honour a Creative Scotland colleague who dedicated his entire professional life to helping writers and literature organisations in Scotland. Following the sad loss of Dr Wallace in 2013, Creative Scotland established an annual fellowship in his name to honour his memory and commemorate and continue his good work.
The fund supports and arts organisation based in Scotland to host the year-long Dr Gavin Wallace Fellowship. This year's host is Playwrights' Studio, Scotland who are now recruiting a writing Fellow for 2018.
The Fellowship is delivered in partnership with the Royal Lyceum Theatre who will offer agreed support in-kind during the duration of the Fellowship.
The Dr Gavin Wallace Fellowship is supported by the National Lottery through Creative Scotland.