National Script Reading Service
Written a play but don't know how to take the next step?
Our free script reading service provides an opportunity for Scotland's writers to receive valuable script feedback from theatre professionals. Plays are read anonymously and extensive script reports provided by experienced practitioners in playwriting, directing, producing or dramaturgy.
- Your play will be read anonymously by a highly skilled professional
- You will receive written feedback to help you develop your craft
- With your permission, a copy of your script and feedback will be available to our Script Reading Service partners upon request. Should any of the partners or producing companies have an interest in the script, or your writing, we will put them in touch with you.
Who are the Script Reading Service partners?
The Beacon Arts Centre, Ankur Productions, Catherine Wheels, Citizens' Theatre, Dundee Rep, Grid Iron, Horsecross (Perth Rep), Macrobert, Magnetic North, Mull Theatre, National Theatre of Scotland, A Play, A Pie and A Pint (Oran Mor), Pitlochry Festival Theatre, Royal Lyceum Theatre, Stellar Quines, Tron Theatre and Vanishing Point.
What plays are eligible?
- Plays by writers who are from Scotland or based in Scotland
- Plays that have not been produced
- Plays for live performance (not TV, film or radio scripts)
- All genre of plays except musicals
- Plays that have not previously been submitted
- Plays of 40 pages or more in length.
We are only able to consider one play per writer, per year.
Please note that plays written in languages other than English are eligible but may take longer to process.
How do I submit a play?
We are using Submittable to streamline our application process. If you have any difficulties using Submittable, please get in touch with us on 0141 332 4403 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submittable will ask you to create an account (or sign in to your existing account). To create an account, you will need to fill in your name and email address and choose a password.
You will need to fill in:
- Contact details (including name, address and mobile number)
- A brief biography detailing your writing experience to date.
- Whether you would like to write in English, Gaelic or Scots
- Whether you would like to receive Playwrights' Studio's E-News
You will need to upload your script anonymously
as a Word or PDF file. The pages of your script should be
You will then be asked to provide some demographic information
about yourself. This is for equalities monitoring
and is anonymous. This information will be separated from
Once you have completed all questions, click the final Submit button. You should then receive an email confirming your submission.
If you don't have access to email and wish to post your script,
follow the same process as above, and post to: Playwrights' Studio,
Scotland, CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, G2 3JD. If
applying by post you will need to include an Equalities Monitoring
What happens next?
- You will receive an email acknowledging your submission
- Your play will be read anonymously by a highly skilled reader who will give written feedback
- We will send you a copy of this feedback
- This feedback report will be available to all of our National Script Reading Partners but will be kept confidential if you specifically request this.