National Script Reading Service
Written a play but don't know how to take the first step?
Our free script reading service provides an opportunity for Scotland's writers to receive valuable script feedback from theatre professionals. Plays are read anonymously and extensive script reports provided by experienced practitioners in playwriting, directing, producing or dramaturgy.
- Your play will be read anonymously by a highly skilled professional
- You will receive written feedback to help you develop your craft
- This feedback will be available to all partner theatre companies
Who are the Script Reading Service partners?
The Beacon Arts Centre, Ankur Productions, Catherine Wheels, Citizens' Theatre, Dundee Rep, Grid Iron, Horsecross (Perth Rep), Macrobert, Magnetic North, Mull Theatre, National Theatre of Scotland, A Play, A Pie and A Pint (Oran Mor), Pitlochry Festival Theatre, Royal Lyceum Theatre, Stellar Quines, Tron Theatre and Vanishing Point.
What plays are eligible?
- Plays by writers who are from Scotland or based in Scotland
- Plays that have not been produced
- Plays for live performance (not TV, film or radio scripts)
- All genre of plays except musicals
- Plays that have not previously been submitted
- Plays submitted must be 40 pages or more in length.
We are only able to consider one play per writer, per year.
Please note that plays written in languages other than English are eligible but may take longer to process.
How do I submit a play?
We have updated the process for submitting scripts to the National Script Reading Service.
- Scripts should be submitted by email as a Word or PDF file. The pages of your scripts should be numbered.
- In your email, or cover letter if you are submitting by post, please include the title of the play, your name, address, phone number, email address, language in which your play is written (i.e. Gaelic, Scots or English), and any special communication needs you may have.
- Do not include details that identify you as the writer on your script.
Email your play with the title "National Script Reading Service" in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you don't have access to email and wish to post your script, follow the same process as above, and post to: Playwrights' Studio, Scotland, CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, G2 3JD.
What happens next?
- You will receive an email acknowledging your submission and detailing the next stage
- Your play will be read anonymously by a highly skilled reader who will give written feedback
- We will send you a copy of this feedback
- The feedback report will be available to all of our National Script Reading Partners but will be kept confidential if you specifically request this.
If any of the partners have an interest in your writing we will put you in touch with them.
(Top image: The Great Train Race by Robert Dawson Scott. Photo by Leslie Black.)