Mentoring Programme Application Form Guide
This guide to the application form aims to give you some ideas for how to approach each question.
Although this is a guide, please try and respond to as many of the bullet points as you can in your submission as they will help to formulate your answers when filling out your application.
Make sure you have read the Frequently Asked Questions before starting your application. If you have any further questions about the Mentoring Programme, please get in touch via 0141 332 4403 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is Monday 16 September at 5pm.
1. Tell us about why would you like to be mentored. This is a short statement which could include telling us about:
- What excites you about playwriting
- The strengths and weaknesses of your writing
- The areas you would like to improve
- Your ambitions for your writing, and how you think a mentor could help you achieve these ambitions
2. Tell us about your commitment to developing your playwriting skills and experience. This could include telling us about:
- What motivates you as a playwright
- Any self-directed study or reading, formal study you have undertaken, workshops or events you have attended and particular people who have influenced you
- Your ambitions for your writing and the ways in which you plan to develop your craft as a playwright
3. A short statement on your play idea. You could be thinking about:
- The story you want to tell
- What inspired you to tell this story
- The style or form you want to explore in telling this story
- Why you are uniquely placed to tell this particular story
Please provide us with two five-page samples of your writing. This can be either:
- Two five-page extracts from stage plays
- One five-page extract from a stage play and one five-page extract of writing in any genre
Each extract should include an additional synopsis (approximately 50 words per extract at the top of the extract).
Please note that we do not expect your idea to be one of your writing samples as it may not necessarily be written yet. However, if you have begun working on your idea, you are welcome to submit an extract of it as one of your writing samples.
You will also need to provide:
- A brief biography of your experience to date. If your application is successful, this will be published to the Playwrights Database on the Playwrights' Studio website. Please visit the Database for examples on how to format your biography
- Whether you would like to write in English, Gaelic or Scots. Applicants writing in Gaelic or Scots can submit their application in their chosen language
- Confirmation that you are available on Wednesday 4 December 2019 for the Playwriting Programme Induction Day. If you are unable to make this date, please contact us via email@example.com before making your application
- Confirmation you are available on Tuesday 7 and Wednesday 8 July 2020 for your readthrough and sharing
- Whether you would like to receive feedback on your application if you are shortlisted
Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their submission no later than Wednesday 20 November 2019.
We wish you the best of luck with your application. Please contact us if you have any questions.