The East by West UK/US Playwright Exchange
Co-sponsored by An Tobar and Mull Theatre, Citizens Theatre Glasgow, Ensemble Studio Theater New York and Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater with support from Playwrights' Studio, Scotland and Arch 468.
The project seeks to explore the impact of place and geographically rooted stories on our culture and in particular how the stories of the Scottish diaspora may have influenced American narratives.
The selected playwrights will have some existing creative practice but do not previously need to have work professionally commissioned or produced.
In Autumn 2022, three playwrights from Scotland and three playwrights from the USA will form a cohort focused on cultural exchange and peer mentoring. The playwrights will spend two weeks together in Scotland: one week based on the Isle of Mull and a second week in Glasgow. Several months later, the playwrights from Scotland will travel to the USA to spend one week in New York and a second week supported by Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater in Cape Cod. In each location, the playwrights will undertake a programme of cultural immersion, professional network building and skill development alongside focused creative time allowing them to develop a new work inspired by the experience.
Spending time in both rural and urban locations in each country and supported by experienced industry professionals in each place, the playwrights will be encouraged to delve into the way that the essence of a place can infuse the stories told about it.
During the exchange, playwrights will correspond with each other, sharing insights and experiences to contribute to a long form creative documentation of the process. At the end of the exchange, the playwrights will be invited to submit an outline of a new work for full commission and potential transatlantic production.
Scotland's participants will be selected following an open call process (see below).
Selected playwrights will receive:
- A weekly stipend of £450 a week for 4 weeks to develop their work and practice within a once-in-a-lifetime cultural and creative experience.
- Paid international travel and accommodation in Mull, Glasgow, New York and Cape Cod.
- The opportunity to develop industry networks with key commissioners and co-producers in both Scotland and North America to support future career development and production opportunities.
- A programme of cultural activity designed to enrich their practice as a writer.
- Tickets to cultural experiences in each of our four key locations.
Mull 22 October to 29 October 2022
Glasgow 30 October to 5 November 2022
USA 5 March to 19 March 2023
Please only apply if you are available for all of the listed dates and have a valid passport.
To apply, provide complete the short application form and upload the following:
- A letter detailing why you feel this opportunity is the right one for you at this particular time (one page of A4 or less)
- Two written examples of your work, each of which must be at least twenty pages long
For this project, we will consider anyone who makes work which has a written genesis or legacy as a playwright, whether or not they would generally use this word to describe themselves.
Application deadline: 12 noon on 8 July 2022