National Script Reading Service
Written a play but don't know how to take the next step?
Our free script reading service provides an opportunity for Scotland's writers to receive valuable script feedback from theatre professionals. Plays are read anonymously and extensive script reports provided by experienced practitioners in playwriting, directing, producing or dramaturgy.
- Your play will be read anonymously by a highly skilled professional
- You will receive written feedback to help you develop your craft
What plays are eligible?
- Plays by writers who are from Scotland or based in Scotland
- Plays that have not been produced
- Plays for live performance (not TV, film or radio scripts)
- All genre of plays except musicals
- Plays that have not previously been submitted
- Plays of 40 pages or more in length.
Please note that plays written in languages other than English are eligible but may take longer to process.
How do I submit a play?
You will need to fill in:
- Contact details (including name, address and mobile number)
- A brief biography detailing your writing experience to date.
- Whether you write in English, Gaelic or Scots
You will need to upload your script anonymously
as a Word or PDF file. The pages of your script should be
You will then be asked to provide some demographic information
about yourself. This is for equalities monitoring
and is anonymous. This information will be separated from
Once you have completed all questions, click the final Submit button. You should then receive an email confirming your submission.
If you don't have access to email and wish to post your script,
follow the same process as above, and post to: Playwrights' Studio,
Scotland, CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, G2 3JD. If
applying by post you will need to include an Equalities Monitoring
What happens next?
- You will receive an email acknowledging your submission
- Your play will be read anonymously by a highly skilled reader who will give written feedback
- We will send you a copy of this feedback
Please note, during August Playwrights' Studio staff deliver a significant programme of work as part of the Festival. This means that scripts submitted during this period may take longer to process. We appreciate your understanding during this period.